That’s how I like to describe myself. Well I really wish I could describe myself as vegan – but at a certain point I just crave meat.
I have read many a book and blog about being vegan. In fact I really do think it’s the perfect choice, if one can do it.
Next best option would be grass fed cows, and organic chicken, eggs and fish. None of which are in abundance in the kosher aisles of Montreal grocery stores. In fact non existent would better describe it.
So until such time, I do need my meat fix. But on those days that I pretend to be vegan, I do make some awesome stuff.
Case in point:
Zucchini noodle summer rolls
2 tbs coconut oil – melted
1 garlic cube
1 coriander cube
1 chilli cube
4 zucchinis julienned with a mandolin
1 sweet potato julienned
I red onion sliced in semi circles
I pack of sliced mushrooms
6 rice wrappers
1. Sautee garlic, coriander and chilli in the coconut oil. After a few minutes add zucchini. Cook for about 4 minutes constantly tossing. Place in a bowl.
2. Sautée sweet potato and red onion. This will take longer than the zucchini. Place in a bowl
3. Sautee the mushrooms. Place in a bowl.
4. Wet the rice wrappers to soften. One at a time. Once soft and pliable place on a cutting board and fill with veggies. Zucchini, sweet potato, and lastly mushrooms.
5. Wrap the wrapper starting from bottom, then each side. Roll it up.
6. I then placed it on the pan and sautéed the sealed side for about a minute each. You do not have to do this step.